READING, PA (February 6, 2023) – Berks County Community Foundation and Reading Pride Celebration (RPC) recently distributed the first round of grants from the Reading Pride Celebration Gives Back Fund. The grants support local programs that align with the fund’s mission of promoting diversity, inclusion, and equality in the Berks County area.
The following organizations received grants:
- Berks Career and Technology Center, East received a $1,000 grant to start a program that brings LGBTQ+ and anyone straight together to participate in activities such as an event in the spring for Pride Day.
- Family Promise of Berks County, received a $1,000 grant for its U-Turn program to buy bus passes for transitional-aged youth ages 17-24. The goal of the program is to minimize barriers to achieving independence.
- Planned Parenthood Keystone received a $1,000 grant for Spectrum a Reading-based LGBTQ+ program whose mission is to provide an empowering environment for youth ages 13 to 21. The program offers meetings in a free and confidential space.
- Reading School District received a $950 grant to create an after-school club for students who identify as part of the LGBTQIA+ community. The goal of the club is to provide social support and a safe space for students.
- Yocum Institute for Arts Education received a $1,000 grant for a theater production based on inclusion that celebrates what makes each of us unique and worthy.
“Our LGBTQ+ youth are the future leaders of our community and we hope that these funds help educators create programs and provide much-needed resources that benefit them while promoting inclusive environments and communities,” said Enrique Castro, Jr, RPC’s Executive Director.
Each grant will be used for outreach, education, and advocacy efforts aimed at creating a more inclusive community for everyone.
“We are delighted to support these organizations through the Reading Pride Celebration Gives Back initiative,” said Cindy Milian, Health and Human Services Program Officer at Berks County Community Foundation. “Their work is essential to promoting equality and understanding in our community, and we are honored to support their mission.”
The Reading Pride Gives Back Fund was created with a portion of the proceeds from the Reading Pride Celebration Festival 2022.
Berks County Community Foundation is a nonprofit corporation serving as a civic leader for our region by developing, managing, and distributing charitable funds to improve the quality of life in Berks County, PA. More information is available at www.bccf.org.
Reading Pride Celebration is an organization that has the mission of promoting Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion by building a community that embraces and supports differences and seeks to eliminate racial oppression, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, and other oppression. Every dollar raised through our Pride festival or other fundraising initiatives goes directly back to support our mission and programs.
Media Contact: Erica Caceres, Communication Manager, Phone: 610-685-2231, Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org