READING, PA (June 8, 2023) – The Gilmore | Henne Fund of Berks County Community Foundation has awarded $9,500 in grants to five parks. The Gilmore | Henne Community Fund was created by Wilson High School Graduates and NFL players John Gilmore and Chad Henne to support the costs of park programs and recreational improvements.
Grants were awarded to the following applicants:
- $2,000 to Muhlenberg Township for the purchase of three Automated External Defibrillator (AED) units for the Muhlenberg Park System. These AED units will help keep staff and visitors safe in the time it takes for first responders to arrive.
- $2,000 to Bernville Borough for the cost of sealing the basketball court at Umbenhauer Park. These renovations will restore one of few existing basketball courts in the Bernville area.
- $2,000 to Berks County Parks & Recreation Department for the purchase of snowshoe equipment to benefit both pre-existing and future snowshoeing programs in Berks County.
- $1,500 to VOiCEup Berks towards its Stand Together Against Racism (STAR) Summer Playground Program, which will work to educate children about accepting differences and being an ally for others.
- $2,000 to the Borough of Mohnton for the costs of renovations to Mohnton Memorial Park off Wyomissing Avenue. Renovations will include but are not limited to mulching, trash cleanup, painting, and general repairs.
“I am elated to support projects that will make our parks safer, more accessible, and more enjoyable for visitors,” said Emily Smedley, environment and energy program officer. “These improvements will revive some of our local green spaces and create a healthy environment where residents can share special moments with one another.”
The Gilmore | Henne Community Fund was created in 2010 with the goal of improving the community and the quality of life for Berks County children through park improvements. To learn more about the Gilmore | Henne Community Fund, visit https://bccf.org/funds/gilmore-henne-community-fund/.
Berks County Community Foundation is a nonprofit corporation serving as a civic leader for our region by developing, managing, and distributing charitable funds to improve the quality of life in Berks County, PA. More information is available at www.bccf.org.
Media Contact: Erica Caceres, Communication Manager, Phone: 610-685-2231, Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org